Moving is a almost always a difficult and stressful process, and preparing efficiently takes a lot of work. If you don’t pay enough attention, things inevitably end up broken or lost. To keep your move from turning into a messy list of mistakes, it’s important to take the necessary steps to organize and plan effectively. Of course, you can reduce the stress of the situation to a minimum if you use the services of a moving company!
Moving: Things to Consider
- Think about your time frame, and try to get started as soon as possible- even if you think you don’t have much, it’s better to be ready ahead of time, than trying to manage the chaos of the last minute.
- Make a budget! Don’t forget about all of the small expenses of your move- they add up! Consider boxes, packing material, wrapping blankets- and don’t forget to make sure you have settled the balance of your current home.
- Make a list of everyone who needs to be notified of your address changes- Typically, this will include: your bank, employer, post office, utilities, and any delivery or subscription services. This will help make sure that anything personal will be sent to the right place, and reduce the risk of missing something important during the transition!
- Keeping all of your important documents or records in a specified location, such as a lock box, or even just a binder, will make it easier to access information for any reason at a moment’s notice!
- Collect all the things you might need in the first 24 hours after moving into a separate box: You’ll probably want your toiletries, some pajamas, a spare outfit, your phone charger, any medications you may need- and a plan for dinner!
Moving: How do I get started?
First, think about types of packing materials you will need:
- Polyethylene wrapping
- Plastic bags
- Packing materials
- Helping hands!
While it is highly unlikely that you will be a victim of stolen property during your move (Tip: Make sure you pick licensed and USDOT certified movers- these licenses require them to insure your belongings, and makes them accountable for your property during the move!), it is still always better to be safe than sorry. Use a separate box to hold valuables such as jewelry, important or sensitive documents, etc.; keep this box on your person or in your personal vehicle, so you know where it is and who has access to it at all times. On average, it isn’t wise to pack boxes over 65lbs- this makes it hard to move efficiently, and also runs the risk of the box busting or bottoming out during the moving process. Unfortunately, we often don’t have access to a scale to be sure. So, the easiest way to determine if a box is too heavy is to use the Rule of Thumb: if you can’t budge the box with your thumb, it is probably too heavy for moving, and should be unloaded. If you have no time to do everything by yourself, you can always count on our packing team!
Packing with Purpose
Part of the packing process means deciding what needs to be packed first, and what needs to be packed last. Sticking to a system and keeping things on a schedule can only make your move less stressful in the long run.
- Fabrics. Collect all of your bed linens, towels, rags, etc. from cabinets and closets; set these aside to use as packing material, or put them in plastic bags! (Tip: Labelling plastic bags with a marker is easiest before the bags are filled!)
- Books. Packing books is difficult because of their weight and volume; a good idea is to make sure the height of your books when stacked does not exceed 17”. If there is space left in the box, you can fill it with light-weight items, or just cushion the books with packing material to keep them secure during the move.
- Shoes and clothes (other than what you’ll need for the 24 hours of your move!) are easy to put in plastic bags instead of boxes, just make sure to separate any special articles that need to be moved with care. (Tip: Don’t forget about your luggage- your own travel bags and suitcases can be used to help save money on boxes and plastic bags!)
- Kitchen utensils- it’s important to make sure all sharp objects, especially kitchen knives and utensils, are wrapped around their edges to prevent anyone from reaching into a box and getting injured, or the sharp edges cutting through the cardboard during the move. It’s also a good idea to make sure there is bubble wrap or packing material against the bottom and sides of the boxes that will hold these items.
- Carefully disassemble furniture and place into boxes, use baggies taped inside the box to hold any hardware. Glass, mirrors, and artwork should be wrapped thoroughly, and padded to your comfort to ensure they are safely delivered to their destination.
Moving is a great time to sort out your belongings and finally get rid of clutter and unnecessary items- Junk-removal service is here to help you whenever you need it!
Apart from keeping an organized to-do list, and staying on schedule, there are some important things to consider when you finally get down to packing those boxes- some things just don’t mix!
- Liquids and Paper: Toiletries like shampoo or body wash, oils, craft supplies- anything liquid or gel-like should never be placed in boxes with books, papers, or paper-based items. Even if they’re sealed tightly in a bag, it’s a big risk that could end up with a lot of ruined property.
- Even though many people keep their cleaning products and food products in the kitchen- this does not mean they should be packed together! Packing chemicals and solutions near what you eat isn’t a safe idea, especially since only a few stray drops could be dangerous.
- Avoid packing blunt, sharp, or heavy items with anything fragile- of course!
- If you are moving anything that is flammable, or temperature/light-sensitive, pack these items separately with plenty of warning labels.
You can use this guide to help take on the task of home moving all on your own, or hire a trained professional to do it for you. Either way, remember that a stress-free move is nearly impossible, and not everyone has great organization skills, but every problem has a solution- just follow some of these hints and those solutions will be that much easier. If you do choose to hire a professional for your move, call +1 (469) 901-4871 and talk to DFW Moving Company about making sure you get the best service without the hassle!